I don’t often stumble blindly into cars that I’ve never heard about, so this next one I almost dismissed as a hoax. But the trick of a good hoax is that it needs to be believable…and the Contempo Camaro is anything but. Regardless, I used my favorite internet search site to find out that this is a 1 of 50 examples ever “produced”…or modified from the stock Camaro by Contempo Vans in Sun Valley, CA. Seems like an interesting way to get a basic GM F-body with a crazy looking exterior that isn’t just another screw-on FastnFurious body kit…mostly. Find this 1986 Chevrolet Camaro Cantara offered for $5000 in Portland, OR via craigslist.
From the seller:
1986 Chevrolet Camaro
cylinders: 8 cylinders
paint color: silver
title status: clean
more ads by this user
This is a 1986 Contempo Cantara Camaro – one of about 50 produced and probably only one of about 10 remaining. It has a clean title, clean Carfax, and no accidents.
The Cantara was made by the Contempo corporation who has mostly known for conversion vans. Camaros were sent to Contempo who installed the body kits, wheels and painted the lower part black if that’s what was ordered. They had lots of experience with fiberglass, so the kit is built well and has held up well.
The kit consists of a body kit including flared fenders, custom side skirts, larger 16×8 wheels and a custom fiberglass rear hatch that makes it look like a Delorean.
I have spent the last year getting it running right and fixing lots of little issues so that it now starts and runs well and is fun to drive. It just passed smog and I have been using it as my daily driver the past six months. Unfortunately I found another project I’m interested so I need to let this go to make room.
Here is some of the work that I have done:
* Rebuilt carburetor, including throttle shaft bushings, and new electric choke
* New 245/50/16 tires on original 16×8 American Racing wheels
* New battery and ground cable
* Tune up including new spark plugs, timing to factory specs, oil change with synthetic oil, carb adjustment
* New oxygen sensor
* Replaced rotting vacuum lines, and routed correctly
* Changed the transmission fluid
* Removed, cleaned and lubricated the blower motor
* New temperature gauge, replaced burned out dash light bulbs
* High end Pioneer AM/FM/MP3 bluetooth stereo with four new speakers
* New door weather-stripping and window sweeps
* Rebuilt electric hatch pull down and new relay
* Adjusted rear hatch to seal better
* Replaced center and rear exhaust hangers, adjust exhaust fit
* Replaced or repaired all lights, dash, interior, and exterior
* Replaced missing air dam and under body plastics
* Replaced fuel hoses
* New thermostat
* Repaired wipers, rebuilt cover board, all functions work including intermittent
* Larger exhaust y-pipe with 3” exhaust system – sounds great
* New wheel center caps
* Newer clutch
* Newer starter
* Newer alternator
* Newer shock absorbers
* Newer cap, rotor and ignition wires
* Newer hatch and hood struts
EXTRA PARTS INCLUDE:
* Z28 / IROC hood with louvers
* Two new window motors
* 36mm hollow front sway bar
* Two sets of rear shocks
* Early Z28 air dam
* Extra air cleaner (to build a dual snorkel cold air intake)
* Original two-bar taillights
* Extra radiator air dam
* Power hatch release
* Map light with reading light
* Fiberglass headliner
* 120 and 140 MPH Speedometers
FEATURES AND OPTIONS:
The Camaro itself is a relatively rare V8 with 5-speed combo. Features include:
* Contempo Cantara Conversion
* 5.0 liter LG4 V8 with 5-speed T5 manual transmission
* Power windows
* Grey cloth deluxe interior (upgraded seats, more sound deadening)
* Metallic silver with black lower panels
* Air Conditioning
* T-tops with storage bag and sun covers
* AM/FM/Cassette with four speakers
* Electric hatch pull down
* 16×8 American Racing alloy wheels with 245/50R16 tires
* Intermittent wipers
* Contempo Cantara Body Kit
The Camaro starts easily and runs well. The cooling system works properly, the fan kicks in as it should around 230, it doesn’t overheat and the heat works great. The HVAC system works, but the AC compressor has been removed. The alternator was replaced recently and the battery is new, and it charges properly. All the glass is good, the t-tops don’t leak, and the rear window was resealed because it was dripping. Most of the rattles have been eliminated by properly screwing in all the interior trim, or replacing broken pieces. The transmission shifts well, the fluid was just changed, and the clutch works well. All the gauges work properly, except the trip odometer. The front suspension needs some work, one ball joint is loose, the idler arm is worn and should be replaced. The body is very straight and accident free, but years in Arizona baked the paint off and it needs a paint job. One of the previous owners painted the top primer grey. Minor surface rust, only significant rust is under battery. Spare battery tray included. The RPO Code label is intact and I’m happy to send a photo of it, although I have tried to list the important options here.
We are licensed dealers and we can accept financing from banks or credit unions.
The Camaro has a clean, Oregon title.
We are asking $5,000.00 or best offer.
Please call to schedule an appointment to drive it, or to learn more about it. Vehicle is shown by appointment only.
Esprit Motors LLC
1102 NE Shaver St. Portland, OR 97212
Oregon Dealer DA3964
Stock #166332(last 6 digits of VIN)
At Esprit Motors we specialize in clean, mechanically excellent pre-owned cars. We believe in honesty and transparency. Check out our customer reviews on Yelp, and visit our website to learn more about us at http://www.espritmotors.com/
Disclaimer: All vehicles subject to prior sale, but we do our best to remove the ad as soon as a vehicle has sold. We reserve the right to make changes without notice and are not responsible for errors or omissions. Advertised price does not include Oregon DMV fees (title, registration, plates, DEQ), or $110 title and registration document preparation fee for Oregon buyers.
See a better way to drive something oddball? firstname.lastname@example.org