Seller Submission: 2001 BMW M3 Convertible E46
BMW’s E46 generation 3-series was an excellent driver’s car in the cheapest of trims, but it becomes a complete beast in the snarling inline-6 equipped M3 version. If you are looking for a topless 2+2 with a 6-speed manual that is brutally fast for less than $10k, it doesn’t get much better than an E46 M3. Find this 2001 BMW M3 Convertible E46 offered via seller submission from Justin.
From the seller:
Finally back from traveling for a month+ Have a new Cayman & fiancee, this NEEDS to go!
NEW Price $8750 Slightly neg.
Please contact me directly at email@example.com or 630-270-6555
2001 BMW M3 Convertible
6 speed manual
All Stock except stereo & Angel eyes(disconnected currently)
Have most records(pdf of all maintenance and receipts for most parts and any shop work done as well as pics of vanos, timing work etc.)
Never seen snow or salt
Stereo is a Eonon touch screen with components up front, Focal sub in the stock location & Directed amp. Installed so everything can go back to stock.
Highlights on recent and major maintenance.
- 10/2004 23,308 Rod bearing recall
- 4/4/14 78,050 Valve Adjustment
- 4/18/14 78,550 Radiator, Thermostat, Waterpump, Upper/Lower Hoses, temp sensor, Exp Tank
- 5/19/14 78,900 Beisan VANOS Rebuild (Seals, Rings, Oil pump disk, Solenoid pack)
- 5/19/14 78,900 Updated Cam Bolts and Cam Hub Bolts Installed with chain guide
- 5/20/14 78,900 FCABS replaced – Lemforder
- 5/20/14 78,900 Engine Mounts replaced – Lemforder
- 6/18/14 81,100 RTABS replaced – Powerflex Poly Bushings
- 7/10/14 82,250 Starter Replaced – Bosch
- 7/27/14 82,500 – Fuel Pump Replaced
- Front and Rear Shocks/Struts Replaced
- 1/25/16 101,500 -Alternator
- 2/14/16 -stereo
- 3/3/16- drivers side mirror glass replaced/mirror tightened
- 3/30/16 105,600 -cowl replacement; inner rear lights replaced
- 4/1/16 105,650 -review mirror repaired and replaced 1 yr warranty
- 4/22/16 106,900 -A/C Belt replaced
- 6/2/16 108,250 -Center support bearing & Gubio
- 6/5/16 -New emblems
- 6/8/16 -New center console
- 6/1/16 -Passenger sign mirror glass replaced/mirror tighten
- 8/1/16 -119,000 -Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45/18 & 255/40/18
- 9/9/16 – 119,500 -Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads & both pad level sensors
- Air Filter
- 2/2/17 – 120,100 -OEM front brake rotors
- 2/9/17 – 120,450 – LUK Oem Clutch/Flywheel kit installed(New Bolts, release fork & spring, Pivot Pin)
- Trans fluid change(Pentosin)
- Oil Change
- CPV replaced
- Exhaust Hanger
- 4/20/17 122,250 -New Headlight Lens & bulbs
- 5/17 -Cabin filter, OEM hood vent
- 6/19/17 -New amber corners, New drivers airbag(recall done), Liquid Moly 10-60 oil change, rebuilt starter with lifetime warranty.
As you can see this car has been taken care of and I would feel confident to drive it anywhere. The air bag recall has been preformed per BMW(passenger & drivers), also where I found out about the rod bearings. Pulls very hard and sounds great doing it with a REAL 6 speed. It has ~6k miles on the brand new OEM clutch/trans fluid & oil change. The oil has been changed every 4500-5000 miles with either TWS 10-60 or Liqud Moly.
Cosmetically the paint has rock chips on the front & a few door dings throughout the body. The rear passenger side of the bumper has spider cracking in the paint and an indentation due to backing up into a pole, not bad, but there. The top is in great shape and goes up/down smoothly with no leaks. The drives seat is worn with a small tear on the bolster. The biggest issue with the car is the carpet under the drivers mat is cut. I have spent a lot of time and money cleaning this car up cosmetically and the paint has been polished, glazed, waxed and a sealant applied. I was also going to take it to get a professional buff and wax as they could do a better job than I, but the car still looks good. I do have another used skin with foam backing for the drivers seat that will go with the car.
The wheels are in good shape with a bit of driving wear and tear and 1 rear wheel having curb rash that goes around the whole wheel. The tires have about 7k miles on them. Michelin Pilot Super Sports in OEM sizes.
I am the 3rd owner and have records and spread sheet from the previous 2 owners as well from myself. I am an enthusiast and love driving this car. When it is not being driven it sits under a cover in my garage. I can give a more in depth explanation about the state of the car to anyone interested.
Currently has OEM 18″ wheels with Michelin PSS. The grills are plasi-dipped black and I have the stock corner lights. It could be put back to 100% stock(minus the stereo) for the sale.
These pictures are from last fall when I put the car up for sale before the Clutch job. I no longer have the ZCP wheels that are pictured. The car sits on OEM 18″ Style 67 wheels.
Miles are at 126,850 right now and will go up as it is my daily. LCD for miles is starting to fade can still see miles, Willing to go to dealer to have miles read.
This is how the car currently looks.
Maintenance spread sheet up to my ownership.
Got your own whip to sell? Send it here: firstname.lastname@example.org
I had the almost-clone of this car (mine was carbon black with black)….It would be very, very hard to imagine finding a car that was more fun than this for this price. Good luck!
Wow. There is nothing better than a car with a type-A owner that not only takes care of it, but shares what he/she's done.
My second Porsche was like that. Previous owner even knew what *day* it had been built at the factory in Stuttgart.
Stan (who is wondering why our Editor in Chief Vince hasn't grabbed this already?)
Wow – what a great car and price. Good luck to the seller. This is a steal.
Hey guys thanks for the comments! I'm the seller and can answer any questions about the car.
I have been driving it daily for the past few days & it has ran great. Top down with the A/c on blast and the car runs as it should, cool & with plenty of power. I will be giving it another oil change before it goes as I will be driving it daily until it sells.
It really is a toss up between driving my 987.2 Cayman & the M3, it's just that good. If I could keep it I would. Help me pay for my wedding?!
Justin- CONGRATULATIONS. Everyone should experience Porsche ownership.
This is a great deal. So many of the convertibles have the time-bomb SMG transmission, the fact that this has three pedals makes it even better. Good luck with the sale!
Sell the fiancee's car and have her drive the vert…
I would love to but she has no interest in driving or learning manual. I'm flexible on price but need this sold soon!
Dropped the price to $8500 obo would be willing to work out a bit of a deal for a potential buyer in the next few days