We continue our celebration of lunacy with this next Loony Labor Day piece of automotive art. It is a strange combination of 3-wheeled trike from the 80s and electric power…and I’m not sure how I feel about. it. Find this 1985 TriHawk Trike offered for $13,900 in San Diego, CA via craigslist. Tip from Rock On!
From the seller:
paint color: yellow
title status: clean
1985 Trihawk – Converted to electric drive
- Own a piece of Southern California history – less than 100 TriHawks built in Dana Point, Ca in the 1980s.
- 1985 was the last model year for the TriHawk as Harley Davidson bought the company in 1985 and subsequently decided not to continue to market the TriHawk.
- This electric conversion makes a fun vehicle even more fun to drive by improving the torque and horsepower curves through the use of the electric drive. It has excellent acceleration and corners like a go-kart. Add to this the cost savings from not having to pay for outrageous gas prices makes the driving even more enjoyable.
- First and only electric Trihawk
- Registered as a motorcycle but no motorcycle license needed in California to drive it, just a regular automobile class C driver’s license is all that is required
- Frame off restoration completed during electric conversion
Key components and specifications:
- 12.6 KwH of LiFePO4 batteries: 38 – 3.32 volt 100 Ah cells in 3 aluminum battery boxes
- Range: Approximately 60 miles per charge, combined hwy/city. Range dependent upon driving style and speed
- Curtis 1238-7601 AC-50 Brushless AC motor: Peak Torque – 120 ft-lbs (occurs virtually instantaneously), peak HP 71 at approximately 3500 rpm
- Curtis 1238 Controller 600 amps
- Liquid cooler for controller
- Elcon PFC2500 charger
- Performance VW Type 1 Pro Street transaxle w/ aluminum side cover
- GPS Speedometer – current mileage since frame-off restoration and electric conversion: ~2200 miles
- Two integrated stainless steel roll bars, one in dash and one behind drive/passenger seats
- Removable convertible top with driver and passenger side doors
- Pearlescent Corvette yellow paint – some chips and other defects
- Original seat fabric with wetsuit style seat covers
- Includes Siemens 240 volt 30 amp wall mounted charger
See another way to drive nutty? firstname.lastname@example.org