1. Matt Cramer
    April 13, 2017 @ 8:03 pm

I'm going to nominate the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO simply for being the widest gap between the normal version and the special edition. They took a car that was otherwise only available as a totally boring penalty box, then stuffed a much larger turbo motor and an AWD drivetrain under it, and there wasn't any sort of in-between option whatsoever for a long time.

2. Zach
    April 13, 2017 @ 8:33 pm

Least favorite: Levis Edition Gremlin
    [img src=" heddels.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/denimgremlin_feat.jpg" width="400px"/]

• Zach
      April 13, 2017 @ 11:01 pm

[image src=" heddels.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/denimgremlin_feat.jpg" width="400px"/]

April 13, 2017 @ 9:10 pm

R5 Turbo
    911 RS American
    e36m3 lightweight
    And
    not that special but I really like the Bullitt Mustangs, both generations.

4. Fueltruck
    April 13, 2017 @ 9:27 pm

R 53 Mini Cooper Works GP. Numbered special edition, no sound deadening, no back seat, granite-hard suspension, and a rabid squirrel of an engine. They took a perfectly fun little runabout, and made it as raw as a scraped knee.

5. JGrant750
    April 13, 2017 @ 10:52 pm

1987 Buick Grand National GNX
    [image src=" cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/184006/184006_Front_3-4_Web.JPG" width="400px"/]

6. FTB
    April 14, 2017 @ 3:48 am

This one's easy……the Mecury Villager Nautica Edition.

[image src=" i1.wp.com/hooniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/6018714474_44c4a6c6c3_b.jpg?resize=700%2C540"/]

• JGrant750
      April 17, 2017 @ 1:41 am

LOL, take THAT Brabus!

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2017 @ 12:00 am

It always bugged me that the Nautica didn't have a hitch to pull a boat.

April 14, 2017 @ 6:13 am

Someone get me a Scotch
    [image src=" s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d3/ba/a5/d3baa5b7c73fd74731ccc0d0abe3026a.jpg" width="400px"/]

8. JB1025
    April 14, 2017 @ 4:04 pm

Those motors have like 2-3 threads holding in the sparkplugs they blow out and are hard to fix and harder to work on no elbow space there are a couple of kits to fix it but not cheap so hopefully you don't run into that something to look out for.

9. MB
    April 14, 2017 @ 4:21 pm

Jeep does some attractive special editions of the Wrangler Unlimited such as this Big Bear Edition featured in a What Am I a while back on this very site:

[image src=" blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/JP016_015WRc0c20p7439rjdpf9finkg1r7v6.jpg" width="400px"/]

And back in 2008 Volkswagen sold a one-year-only special edition of the GTI called the Fahrenheit Edition which brings a smile to my face the couple of times I see one on the road each year:

[image src=" i58.photobucket.com/albums/g271/tavitopr/Black%20on%20Black%20wheels/7713886_orig.jpg" width="400px"/]

Hey man, at least they were trying which is more than you can say for a lot of car makers.

April 14, 2017 @ 4:50 pm

[image src=" images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/03/800px-VWGolfHarlequin.jpg" width="400px"/]

11. Hunsbloger
    April 14, 2017 @ 5:25 pm

1978 Scirocco Champagne Edition. The seats were incredible (albeit a little tough to get in and out of with their huge side bolsters). The chin spoiler would just clear a standard concrete bumper stop, unless there was a little stub of rebar holding it in place, which would accommodate the spoiler going into the parking space, but remove it from the car when exiting the space. Miss the car, but not the woman I shared it with.
    [image src=" website.lineone.net/~dr.dub/800champed2.jpg" width="600px"/]

• JGrant750
      April 17, 2017 @ 1:38 am

This was my first car in '86. Great ride!

• Russ
      April 20, 2017 @ 5:54 pm

My first "real" car also! Bought a 2-year old one in 1980 after starting my first professional job. Loved it, still miss it. Thanks for the photo.

12. ABikePeddler
    April 14, 2017 @ 8:37 pm

Yep Sean hit is right on the head..

#1 Renault R5 Turbo (1 or 2) Possibly the greatest special edition (outside of course the Mclaren F1 Longtail) ever made.

To that I would also nominate in no particular order…

GMC Syclone/Typhoon
    Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 (a.k.a. Evo Zero)
    Mazda 323 GTX
    1983 California Edition VW Scirocco (Yep, this was an actual model… website.lineone.net/~dr.dub/california_edition.htm)

… and who could forget the wacky Dodge Omni GLHS?

• sean scott
      April 14, 2017 @ 9:01 pm

Funny you should bring up the California Scirocco
      CA Scirocco

Abikepeddler, are you a roadie, MTB, or other?

13. ABikePeddler
    April 15, 2017 @ 6:16 pm

Sean

So strange you linked to that CA Scirocco. My buddy had one back when new and when I mentioned the car yesterday here on DT I thought to myself… "Self, you ever find one you should buy is as a gift for him". That Santa Barbara CA Scirocco's price is right but the work needed is more time then I have. Fun to see one for sale however.

Currently riding Fat bikes but as a bicycle retailer by trade my interest spans all makes, models and disciplines.

Thanks for the link!

• Russ
      April 20, 2017 @ 6:00 pm

Bicycles and Sciroccos (I've owned 3 'rocs). It's like we are all living parallel lives.

14. john
    August 23, 2017 @ 9:12 am

Thank you for some other informative blog. Where else could I get that type of information written in such an ideal means? I have a mission that I’m just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information. civilsupplieskerala.gov.in