1. Bobinott
    April 30, 2018 @ 7:54 pm

Excellent Kaibeezy! So much life-experience rolled into a single story. The reno gone bad, what home owner has not been there. But the heart of the matter: Trailer Lights! The bane of my existence. I cannot think of a single time that I have borrowed a trailer without having to futz with the lights. Everything from simple burned-out bulbs to bad sockets to bad connectors to dead harnesses on the tow car. It never ends!

When I built my dream utility trailer a couple of years ago, the first thing I did to the used chassis I started with was to cut out the entire lighting system and start with a fresh install. I sanded and di-electric-pasted every ground connection. It was PERFECT. Then I hooked it up to my car, and got only a faint glow for brakes and intermittent flashing! After much cursing and head-scratching, and clamping jumper cables to anything that didn't move, I discovered that somehow the tongue was partly isolated from the frame. Rust at some critical point, no doubt. So I ran a separate ground directly to the bed. Two years later, I hook up one day, and no lights! What the f*@% !? I eventually found that the ground wire had broken inside the virtually-new flat-four-wire connection on the trailer harness. So even with all best efforts, and knowing the enemy, still we suffer. Thanks for letting me vent. It was therapeutic….

• DailyTurismo
      May 1, 2018 @ 4:26 am

Luckily in California it is okay to dolly-tow a car with non functioning trailer lights, but ONLY if that car is a 24 Hrs of LeMons car decked out in full race trim. Usually the cops are too busy laughing to finish writing the ticket.

• doctordel
      May 2, 2018 @ 4:20 am

Florida, too.

Weird, right?

• kaibeezy
      May 2, 2018 @ 2:38 pm

Kind of you to say, Bobinott 🙂

Gutting the room turned out to be smart. There was substandard work underlying every subsystem — weird plumbing, live cut wires (at 240V, yow!), sinking concrete, and rotted lintels. The only things in good shape were the timeless bits — the 18" thick granite walls, square cornered roof timbers, and what looks like original 150-year-old roof slate. Well, the plastic coated windows are plastic. We don't cut corners on replacement work, so now it will all be solid and reliable.

All of the above sounds a lot like some… actually, many, cars I have known.

• kaibeezy
      May 2, 2018 @ 2:47 pm

I'll be profiling any trailer I deal with from now on for a mandatory stop-and-frisk. Suck it up, buttercup. A ticket is one thing, but I'm not going to have an accident that's my fault.

• Bobinott
      May 2, 2018 @ 3:57 pm

@Kaibeezy – I am told that my maternal grandfather used to say: "It's not them that don't know and don't try that worry me, it's them than don't know and DO try". Your reno clearly was executed by the latter.

• kaibeezy
      May 2, 2018 @ 4:17 pm

to be clear, it was the previous work done 30 years ago that was such a mess – as my current fixers started pulling stuff away, they saw nothing but chaos and halfassery – so the decision to nuke it from space made sense – my plumber just finished up all that aspect of the rejiggery today and it is as satisfying as one of those "oddly satisfying" videos – there's something about shiny copper pipes going where they need to go, or other fancy plumbing

[image src=" i.imgur.com/AiAheWL.jpg" width="400px"/]

2. hugh crawford
    May 1, 2018 @ 3:50 am

More like this please!

And I must say that car is very happy to see you, any relation to Dangerboat?

• kaibeezy
      May 2, 2018 @ 3:20 pm

Don't encourage me.

Yes, Dangerboat is the progeny of Happy Towball and Shinobazu Swan…
      [image src=" i2.wp.com/littleislandtakara.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_90711.jpg" width="400px"/]

3. doctordel
    May 2, 2018 @ 4:29 am

Long time readers here will remember a light teal MGB GT that graced these pages sometime around December 2015. I called the seller in Tampa from my brothers place in DC where I was visiting for the holidays. The car sounded like it was solid, had only “minimal” rust and was “too nice” to restore. I returned to FL a few days later and drove across the state to pick up the u-haul trailer I had reserved about 3 minutes from the MG. Suffice to say, my connector fit perfectly…but wouldn’t energize the trailer lights. It wasn’t the trailer either, and the u-haul dude wouldn’t even consider turning a blind eye. So…5 hour round trip for nothing.

The MGB GT? It was a rusted rocker project but I bought it anyway. Turned out the minimal rust was actually meant to refer to the amount of body that wasn’t malignant, after all. Sold it as the same project for a third what I paid. I curse that seller every night before brushing my teeth but I have come to realize that the universe told me to not buy the car that day my trailer lights wouldn’t work.

Always trust the universe. Oh, and KBZ.

• kaibeezy