February 16, 2017 @ 2:24 am

So my e46 is costing me about 300 a month in sh*t that breaking.
    I would guess double the cylinders, intakes, heads, valves, vanos, ect.
    This should be about a Gazillion dollars a month to keep going.

• Hunter
      February 16, 2017 @ 5:04 am

The engine in these is bulletproof. The chassis however…

I know a pair of brothers that each have one one. They carry spare ABS sensors, because apparently one of the rear ones is considered a wear item.

2. Bobinott
    February 16, 2017 @ 3:48 am

This was always my favourite subtly ironic model designation: BMW 75 Oil.

But I did drive one once, and it was magnificently smooth and sophisticated. $3400, amazing.

3. Hunter
    February 16, 2017 @ 5:00 am

The original M70 was designed to be low maintenance. It was the first BMW engine with hydraulic tappets, so you didn't need to adjust the valves every 15k miles. It was loosely based on a siamese m20, with its two distributors and ecus. It was considered a plus that if something terrible happened and you had to disable a bank of cylinders, it would run adequately on the other bank. They made very near the same horsepower figure a couple of years later using a v8 with one liter less displacement, so the v12 was a low stress engine. I'd love to put one in my truck in place of the 351w, but I have no idea which transmission could facilitate that pipe dream.

4. Stan Beyerman
    February 16, 2017 @ 7:48 pm

Practice sitting behind the wheel and making "vrooom vrooom" noises.

Because, let's face it: If you cant' enjoy this, you won't enjoy this car.

-Stan (Sitting-in-his-car-on-the-side-of-the-road making "Vroom" noises Stan)

5. BuickFan
    February 17, 2017 @ 2:49 am

I have a dream of someday getting a 740i Sport and swapping in a manual transmission from a 540i. No rational reason, just for fun. I wonder if you could do the same with the 750il…

• Fueltruck
      February 17, 2017 @ 6:20 am

Probably be a bolt-on with the transmission from the even rarer 850i six-speed. But, I doubt any sane individual would be willing to essentially destroy one of those unicorns to build a manual 750il. Cool thought, though.

• sean scott
      February 17, 2017 @ 9:25 pm

I think we have discussed this car on here before.
      Such a cool idea. Could add a supercharger easily as well. Ultimate Transporter!
      740 stick

• BuickFan
      February 19, 2017 @ 3:32 am

Nice find Sean! Too bad they don't list more details on the 6 speed conversion.