1. Fleetwood T. Brougham
    September 15, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

The e60 loses on SMG alone. That v10 with that God-awful-anywhere-other-than-a-racetrack transmission is like a night with Pam Anderson. On one hand, you get a night with Pam Anderson, on the other hand, you get Hep C.

September 15, 2014 @ 4:20 pm

Great write-up and lovely cars.
    Can not agree with the E60
    It will not go down in history as being great like some of the other M cars (I hope I don't offend any E60 owners). Too big, too complicated, less tactile.

Here is where I have been shopping for a E39.

M5

• sean scott
      September 15, 2014 @ 4:23 pm

Try this again
      m5board

3. SlowBoy
    September 15, 2014 @ 5:11 pm

I passed on an E60 to get an E86. That said, the E60 is the best M5 to date. The SMG is actually very well mannered (if you lift before you shift, it's every bit as smooth as a regular stick shift, drive it like an automatic and you're gonna have a bad time) compared to earlier SMGs. It may be a lot bigger than an E39, but the extensive aluminum means it's only a tiny bit heavier. Eventually I was scared off by maintenance costs (since I do all my own work, a car that begs to be taken to the dealer is not something I'd enjoy.) but I could be coaxed back into one when they get cheap enough. That engine makes all the right noises. As uncouth as it would be, I'd straight pipe it and enjoy every second of going deaf.

4. RyanM
    September 15, 2014 @ 5:12 pm

I have to jump on the E60 dislike bandwagon as well. Having driven both back to back, going from the E39 to the E60 felt like I just took a bath in lidocaine. It still looks and sounds the part (and it is indeed a glorious soundtrack), but the feel is very isolated. That's not to say it's "Buick, by BMW" cushy by any means, but the connection with the road via the machine is just not there for me like it was in the E39. It's still better than most other cars out there, don't get me wrong, but for $26k I'd rather have the 5th place E39, this E34 and this E28 grey market M535i . YMMV.

5. mrkwong
    September 16, 2014 @ 1:44 am

Have owned an E39 M5 from new.

I've gotten over my distaste for the E60 shape, but I do not like the interior and never will.

The V10 is…okay. All the extra power comes above 6500RPM, so yeah it may be a quicker car when you're beating on it hard but otherwise nah.

Likewise the SMG, it's nice when you're beating on the car but there's rough edges to the behavior in daily driving.

I love the E34, maybe the best all-around M5 for personality. I love the E39 for all-round capability, it's a warhorse that doesn't mind pulling a plow. The E60 never did anything for me. I haven't driven an F10 yet.