January 4, 2018 @ 10:11 pm

I wish Subaru decided to turbo all their cars at the same time when they made to switch to producing all cars standard with AWD.

January 5, 2018 @ 12:20 am

I can't trust a car that keeps it's spare tire warm in the engine compartment.

3. CFlo
    January 5, 2018 @ 12:28 am

I had the wagon version, except without all the cool stuff. It was a 1986 GL-10 FWD, but it was free, and at least had the 5-speed. Great little hand-me-down beater that got me through college and many adventures, many of which are not appropriate to share on a public forum! The spare tire in the engine bay was strange but it worked. They had the space there over the flat four, so it freed up lots of cargo room in the back. Even though the handbrake was connected to the front wheels for some inscrutable reason, I could still get it to slide the tail in the dirt with some Scandinavian flick / pendulum persuasion.

4. jeffzekas
    January 5, 2018 @ 6:15 pm

These old Subies weren't as durable as the newer models– lucky to go 100K miles before a rebuild, and this one has over 80K. Other drawback: body damage. Unless your cousin works at a body shop, and can do body work at cost, it's not worth buying ANY old car with a bad body. There are lots of cars out there, that are cheap, and have dent-free bodies. And mechanical work is WAY cheaper than body work.

• CFlo
      January 5, 2018 @ 9:52 pm

My '86 lasted to over 250k miles with basic maintenance and a clutch replacement. It was pretty tired at the end there, low on power, but still ran reliably.

5. laurac
    February 5, 2018 @ 7:27 am

My 87 RX is still my daily driver, at 30 years old and 240K miles. I don't know where you are, but here in the PNW, 80's and 90's subarus are everywhere, still running fine.