1. kaibeezy
    April 23, 2017 @ 1:30 pm

I hereby nominate CFlo to be the new Edd – Vince to be the new Mike – DT to be the new WD – me and Hunsbloger for comic relief – and half of our projects will be unrusty Alfas or eye-wateringly expensive old motorcycles unearthed by Gianni

• CFlo
      April 24, 2017 @ 6:49 pm

I'm in – where do I sign? WD was one of our main inspirations leading up to the creation of DT, as I'm sure Vince and/or I have regaled at some point. Sad that WD *needs* a new Edd, but I'm just glad to be mentioned in the same sentence as the tall man!

• kaibeezy
      April 25, 2017 @ 12:05 am

Edd. Edd! If you're reading this (and I bet you are), here's my TV show pitch…

A former aircraft hangar in SoCal. Gleaming lift shafts pierce the spotless white floor.

The camera pans up to what's suspended there: an array of classic cars, prepped for surgery. These are driver cars, not trailer queens or silly-priced unicorns.

A mint green '63 Buick wagon; a deep red '69 Boss; an Alfa GT in bright yellow rally dress; a Fjord blue Saab 9000 Aero; a crisp black E34 M5.

The camera cuts to a handsome fellow in overalls, the name "CFlo" stitched across his pocket. He's the picture of focused concentration as, elbow deep, he maneuvers a stiff hydraulic hose through the innards of the BMW. The satisfying click of a fitting snapping into place echoes across the hangar. CFlo smiles.

Outside, in the bright, palm-fringed parking lot, a group of three variously geeky-seeming gentlemen — one young and energetic; one somewhat older, serious, hairy; one a bit older still, yet full of youthful charm — watch eagerly as another, slightly mysterious gentleman drives up in a car carrier loaded with… who knows what this time?

– Real cars, picked by people who love them.

– Some cars with real problems, others for well-considered upgrades, often both.

– Originality valued but not fetishized; kRaZy mods, not so much.

– Assessed and worked on by smart, practical, resourceful mechanics, engineers and specialists.

– The entire process — selection, purchase, repair/upgrade, sale — discussed and explained in obsessive, sometimes excessive detail.

– Deeply substantive content, presented by intelligent, likeable people.

Ready when you are!

April 23, 2017 @ 4:15 pm

So jealous of this car

April 23, 2017 @ 4:51 pm

Neat M5 project explained, I really hate those pumps in the BMW or Benz cars! Love that huge six! and agree with using the old names for our race tracks! To me it will always be Laguna Seca, Mosport will always be that for me!

Jorg in Toronto

4. BuickFan
    April 23, 2017 @ 9:08 pm

Great write up and I'm impressed that you made your own tool. I've always wanted one of those M5's, ever since the movie Ronin. Unfortunately now the price for them is heading in the wrong direction for my budget.

5. CFlo
    April 24, 2017 @ 6:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback, chaps. Ideally this car would still have SLS as the system is pretty neat and the car does tend to squat pretty noticeably with a few passengers in the back seat and luggage in the trunk. But since it's long gone, deleting the pump seemed to make perfect sense. Play the hand that you're dealt…and all that.