1. Matt C
    June 25, 2020 @ 1:08 pm

I'd take the Bug. If it has more problems than expected, they'll be the easiest to fix. Although the MGB probably wouldn't be too bad if I had a set of Whitworth tools and a jar of Lucas replacement smoke.

• doctordel
      June 26, 2020 @ 3:44 am

Lucas smoke has recently been subject to carbon credit offsets so our time may be running out. Stock up while you can.

June 25, 2020 @ 3:27 pm

I have a 66 Sprite and even though it's dead reliable I'd take the Beetle. First, that Midget is about a $2800 car. Second the Beetle would have more space and be simpler to work on. Third, that MB will quickly become a $6k car to keep on the road.

• doctordel
      June 26, 2020 @ 3:46 am

This. To this day, the most expensive car purchase (by that I mean the negative delta between price bought and price sold, divided by number of miles driven) is an MG I found, well, here. That was a mistake I’ll never make again.

3. erik202
    June 25, 2020 @ 3:55 pm

Every fiber of common sense in my body says beetle but then there is this irrational part of me that can't pass up a deal and that SL is cheaper AND comes with another whole car so basically yeah I'd go Benz and probably regret it.

4. Rigid
    June 25, 2020 @ 3:59 pm

I would go with the Mercedes. Mostly because they say it is a summer only car and it is located in Alaska, so what is that 3 weeks a year? Plus I want to talk to the owner about that van.

5. Watch Carefully
    June 25, 2020 @ 5:53 pm

That 450SL has the ugly 1974 bumpers, not the svelte Euro 1973 type.
    I question the model year of it…and what other facts may be wrong.

IMO, the Midget is likely the most fun of the 3, but it is the one I haven't driven.

• doctordel
      June 26, 2020 @ 3:47 am

Could those bumpers be pushed in?

• Watch Carefully
      June 26, 2020 @ 4:21 pm

They had little shock absorbers, but were like diving boards hanging out there on my '74. I looked for '73s, but they are quite desirable and $pen$ive.

June 25, 2020 @ 7:15 pm

Mercedes is a slam dunk. Built like a tank and just beginning to appreciate. Besides, the hard top is worth half the ask. Part out tge parts car and you could make money on the deal.

The bug is a good second choice and easy to work on

I couldn't live with the $400 re-paint on the midget

7. JB1025
    June 25, 2020 @ 8:04 pm

Vert Roach hands down…..

8. hugh crawford
    June 26, 2020 @ 4:04 am

I was driving by the local much beloved indy German immigrant Mercedes Benz factory mechanic that quit the local dealership when MBUSA ( redacted )

Had one of these with a clear coat failure parked out front with 4000 written on the windshield parked out front.

As much fun as driving from Alaska sounds, maybe a closer SL would be better or should I get a beater Miata.

Supposed to be 103 with high winds tomorrow, maybe convertibles are over.