November 30, 2016 @ 5:48 pm

My divorce forced the sale of my lovely Frau and Speedy. Frau was a 1972 Mercedes Benz 280se cabriolet low-grill and Speedy a 1970 Mini Cooper. I was sorry to see both cars go but am forever grateful for that damn divorce. Rebirth eventually followed by new to me classics.

2. Bobinott
    November 30, 2016 @ 6:08 pm

I imagine that, like any other clutch, its lifespan depends on how often you shift under full power. Still looks like a bargain, although it will never impress anyone as much as its Ferrari sibling. What do these cost without a blown clutch?

• Bobinott
      November 30, 2016 @ 9:06 pm

I'll answer my own question: there are several at the $20K and below price point:

carsforsale.com/maserati-spyder-for-sale-C566319

So this deal does not look fabulous, unless you decide to do the clutch yourself (OMG, what did I just say?). In that case, another divorce may be added to this car's storied history.

3. David
    November 30, 2016 @ 9:10 pm

Just leave in in your driveway. The chicks will come to you.

November 30, 2016 @ 9:44 pm

One of the most indescribably bland looking Italian cars ever offered. That non-descript front end and that horrid chopped off rear… When I see these cars in the wild they actually make me irritated and angry. If that is the Italian emotion they were going for in this design I simply don't get it. No wonder it is $11k.

• Unknown
      December 1, 2016 @ 1:35 am

I see what you're saying, but I like the subdued look. It's not as in your face as other Italian cars, and I believe there's a time and place for both of those types.

5. Zedo
    November 30, 2016 @ 11:54 pm

Disagree. I always loved this design, though I much prefer the original boomerang tail lights that never made it stateside. Understated but still gorgeous, a less-trashy/flashy Ferrari. Why is this one so cheap? I know they can be had for around $20 but this is almost half that… even if it need's a $6k clutch, still seems low.

6. M5
    December 1, 2016 @ 3:40 am

But you'd end up with a $20k car, with a brand new clutch for about $15k! Probably better off than chancing paying $20k and then doing a clutch 6 months down the road.

7. hugh crawford
    December 1, 2016 @ 5:48 am

My first car was a 1962 Maserati 3500 GT Viginale Spyder bought in 1970 for $2000 which was the price of the cheapest Pinto or VW. Silver on red, but a bit more run down looking. It to needed a clutch soon after we got it, but to change the clutch you had to pull the radiator, pull the engine forward, and then either take the transmission out through the passenger compartment or pull the head from the engine, rotate the block 90 degrees, then pull the engine out. What fun. Adjusted for inflation this is about the same situation.

Wish I hadn't traded that car for a VW Dasher to take to college.

8. BionicTorqueWrench
    December 2, 2016 @ 1:44 am

I understand this is the same gear-shift system as was used in same vintage Alfa Romeo with the selespeed gearbox. I had one of those, with and they didn't have any clutch problems. But the advice there was to lift when shifting, just as you would with a manual. If you really wanted racing changes, you could keep your boot in, and it resulted in really aggressive shifting, but I imagine would burn our the clutch pretty quickly.