November 27, 2016 @ 4:26 pm

I like it and assume that it needs the IMS bearing fix and usually some other work as a result. These engines go for $ 15K to $ 25K for a rebuild depending on the damage which is usually based on how long it was driven after the IMS problem surfaced? Much cheaper to fix before. I wonder if a Subaru motor would fit in the back?

2. David
    November 27, 2016 @ 6:28 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

3. kaibeezy
    November 27, 2016 @ 6:39 pm

I'm seeing prices for an IMS upgrade in the $1500 range, installed. If the price delta between a 993 and 996 is more than that, which I'm pretty sure it is, then why isn't it as simple as: find an otherwise good 996, and if the IMS has been replace see if the mechanic appears knowledgeable, or if not go get it done. Why is there more to it than that? Can't just be the headlights.

• kaibeezy
      November 27, 2016 @ 6:40 pm

well… there's the air/water thing – I meant 996 versus 997 where the IMS thing has been fixed

4. DailyTurismo
    November 28, 2016 @ 12:51 am

Just add some stop leak and drive it while you save up for an LS1.

November 28, 2016 @ 5:11 am

Jeez, guy's, what's with all the apostrophe's on the plural's? The other listing's don't have thi's problem–what's going on here?

6. Daz
    November 28, 2016 @ 3:16 pm

Just take out the grill on the engine cover and you have one awesome leaf muncher/mulcher! The eccoids will thank you for being so environmentally astute.

7. bozatwork
    November 29, 2016 @ 2:14 am

And now it's gone. Would love to see a follow up if any reader here bought it.

8. kidrod
    November 30, 2016 @ 3:39 pm

$7500 no go. At least $8k for an engine rebuild, another $2-3k for IMS if you don't wrench. There are plenty of 996's in beautiful condition for $18k. Get one of those instead. I've come around to these machines and think they're the best performance bargain ever. The headlights have even grown on me.

9. kaibeezy
    November 30, 2016 @ 4:49 pm

i once got a fortune cookie that said: find the value in what others overlook – i keep it framed over my desk and it reminds me to always question the conventional wisdom – 911 isn't exactly a TVR in that regard, but *among* the 911s these are growing on me too

then there was the post here from a few weeks ago asking "what presses the same buttons as a 911?" and iirc there really wasn't anything – 996 seems the right balance of modern enough and depreciated enough, plus a depreciation kicker – how are they in the snow?

10. The Blogger
    May 28, 2019 @ 12:08 pm

To muddle things much more, word descended from the Porsche bookkeeping division that the organization did not have the assets accessible to continue a full processing plant dashing system from 1970 forward. So Rico Steinemann enrolled the J.W. used car dealerships