1. K2 Mystery Car
    February 21, 2015 @ 7:15 pm

Is it "Reasons NOT to buy a brown or tan color car day?". Ha ha! I hate those colors… Interesting observations, DT.

[img] upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Ford_Durango_Side.jpg[/img]

2. TJDasen1
    February 22, 2015 @ 5:16 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

3. TJDasen1
    February 22, 2015 @ 5:17 pm

Oh my, yes! I like that baby Ranchero very much.

• K2 Mystery Car
      February 22, 2015 @ 5:41 pm

Cool, huh? You probably already know this, but the trucklet was the Ford Durango and though it never made it to regular production, about 100 were made. I believe the Durango has been featured here on DT previously.

[img] cdn1.anunico-st.com/foto/2013/09/1979_ford_durango-523cd82f95e07d27d2000e3f9.jpg[/img]

• K2 Mystery Car
      February 22, 2015 @ 5:45 pm

Did a search; twice in fact and a modified Zephyr.

dailyturismo.com/2013/12/5k-fairmontchero-1981-ford-durango.html

dailyturismo.com/2013/09/5k-rare-camino-1981-ford-durango.html

• K2 Mystery Car
      February 22, 2015 @ 6:30 pm

Some sources report double that produced, somewhere around 200.

4. Bobinott
    February 22, 2015 @ 5:48 pm

I'm a big Fairmont fan, but I was never too keen on the Z-7 coupe. Nevertheless, this is a nice clean example, for a very reasonable price. It there was a wagon in thi9s condition, at that price, I would be sorely tempted, even in California.

I wore out a couple of Fairmont wagons as daily drivers back in the day, but now I think could keep one going pretty much forever. I don't think there ever was a car that was easier to wrench on.

• K2 Mystery Car
      February 22, 2015 @ 6:30 pm

What is your top pick on the Fox platform, Bobinott? Which model would you buy over all the others? The Fairmont again?

• Bobinott
      February 22, 2015 @ 10:20 pm

Good question. The wagons were so useful that they have a soft spot in the garage of my heart. I also owned a top-line 1982 four door sedan that was really nice to drive. Luxo interior with a sort of bucket/bench front seat, moon roof, upgraded suspension and better sound insulation. I really liked that car. Unfortunately Mrs. Bobinott had a disagreement with a light pole on an icy morning. Sigh….

All of mine were 200 c.i. sixes. Not a fast motor, but you could do what you needed, even when heavily loaded. As reliable as a brick. Fairmonts were available with 4, 6, and 8 cylinder engines. Interestingly, in the real world, there was only a 2 mpg difference between each engine (28mpg, 26 mpg, 24 mpg Imperial)

In fact, I had an amazing run with my Fairmonts. I bought my first used 1980 wagon for $2500 in 1984. Two years later, Mrs.Bobinott got hit and it was written off. The insurance gave me $2500. I used that to buy the 1982 four-door, for $2500. Three years later, Mrs. Bobinott had her moment with the light pole. The insurance gave me….. wait for it….. $2500. I then bought a 1979 wagon for $1500, and drove that for six more years before I let it go (in semi-sad state) for $300. That was the lowest operating cost period I have ever enjoyed.

Oh, by the way, Mrs. Bobinott swore off Fairmonts after the light pole incident. Maybe that is why the 1979 lived to be a ripe old age.

• Marve Harwell
      February 23, 2015 @ 9:53 pm

I too have a weird soft spot for Fairmonts, a car that lives up to the first part of its name. My first car was a Fairmont Futura in the same body style as this Zypher. I had the four cylinder and four speed, which made my little home town seem bigger because it took so long to get anywhere.
      If I was going to do the Fairmont thing again I'd go for the two door "box top" body style. These are the perfect junk yard hot rods with every imaginable engine, transmission, interior, and exterior appointments you can image just a tetanus shot away at the local U-Pull-It.

• CFlo
      February 23, 2015 @ 10:10 pm

Ooh, yeah. 2-door Fairmont "boxtop" is like a dorkier, but somehow better-proportioned, notchback Fox Mustang. And of course it is directly related. I'd get down on our previously featured car below, ideally with a 5.0L Coyote / 6-spd manual swap.

dailyturismo.com/2013/07/1k-perfect-combo-of-rare-and-average.html

[img] 2.bp.blogspot.com/-ThO6U4a38dY/UfQ2C4YDwFI/AAAAAAAAJjY/z4RuTdy-BCc/s640/Fairmont_1.jpg[/img]