1. Sloth
    September 26, 2014 @ 4:11 pm

This may be the finest prose written since Bob Dole invented sushi. Very similar in stature to the undeniable greatness of the Citation X-11.

• kaibeezy
      September 26, 2014 @ 6:45 pm

Second. Good stuff, V!

2. Manrayman
    September 26, 2014 @ 4:21 pm

These heavily Photoshopped or Lightroomed or whatevered photos in car ads are getting increasingly annoying – as if the seller knows that the car, when seen in person, will turn off whomever comes calling. That costs time, money, and anger. Why not be honest with what you've got, up front?

• Bobinott
      September 26, 2014 @ 10:05 pm

Hi Manrayman. The technique is called High Dynamic Range Imaging .

I agree that the effect adds little to an add like this one.

Nice car, though. You can't lose much money in that price range, and I bet it would be a Smile per Mile (too bad that no longer works up here in Kilometer Land….)

• Hunsbloger
      September 26, 2014 @ 10:58 pm

There is an Ebay Seller in Lakeland, FL, who lists under the user name Classicsbylash. They list some very nice cars, but they rely on the same technique. Depending upon the monitor I'm using, their pictures go from just distracting to incredibly annoying.
      I'm sure our E-i-C gets tired of listening to my old man grumble every time I come across one of their cars that I'd like to write up, but I just can't get past the pictures. (so he writes them up and they do well)
      It bears repeating, they sell nice cars, that present very well. They don't need the extra 'lipstick'.
      I've bought enough cars online that I rely very heavily on the pictures in the ads. When I see that technique, I tend to skip right over the ad because I (like Manrayman) feel that someone is trying to put something over on me.

• Hunsbloger
      September 26, 2014 @ 11:01 pm

And, for what its worth…the pictures of the Saab tend minimize the impact of the rumpled and rusted left rear fender.

3. JB1025
    September 26, 2014 @ 5:25 pm

This has been on Craigs for more then a minute !

September 27, 2014 @ 2:20 pm

made-of-glass transmission rebuild: $2600. The only reason I haven't bought one.

• mrkwong
      September 28, 2014 @ 12:23 am

Hmmm…I bet I could find one to do it for less. They're quite simple.

Though frankly my periodic Saab 95 urges involve some kind of VW/Audi or maybe Subaru transaxle swap.

A turbo 2-liter V4 really needs a 5-speed, after all…

• mrkwong
      September 28, 2014 @ 12:26 am

If anyone turns up a rolled Audi RS4 with an intact powertrain let me know, I might be just stupid enough to buy it for the next Saab 95 that turns up. It'd have to be cheap…