1. mrkwong
    September 16, 2014 @ 10:29 pm

First off, this one is the blower AJ6, not the V8. About 50HP less, still a nice car.

Regarding the V8 that came along in – '99? Don't recall, anyway the early ones used a Nikasil plated bore treatment like the '94-95 BMW M60 V8 family, and experienced the same problem with sulfur peeling the plating off as BMW did. You'd have thought that maybe Jag would have observed BMW's experience a few years earlier, but nooooooo….

BMW's solution was, after a bunch of half-assed fixes, to replace the engines with replacements with an Alusil block. The same stuff as the Vega used. In case you're jeering about that, half the German auto industry has been using that technology since the mid '90s and I've got three in the driveway with Alusil blocks and the youngest is at 100K miles.

Jag (Ford) redid the engine with an iron cylinder liner, I have only apocryphal input on how Jag handled warranty claims on the early motors.

If it's lasted this long though it won't fail, 'cause gas now has far less sulfur than it did in 1999.

• DailyTurismo
      September 16, 2014 @ 11:47 pm

Good point on the engine being the i-6, updated above!

2. Bobinott
    September 16, 2014 @ 10:31 pm

Nice car. Glad someone finally turned the XJR into a spiritual successor to the Mark 2 3.8.

It looks really clean, and heck, you can hardly get a good used family car for that price. What`s not to like? Well, maybe the colour change without respraying the door jambs…..

3. AndrewM
    September 16, 2014 @ 10:51 pm

I wonder what color this car was originally?

• Myles
      September 17, 2014 @ 2:45 am

Just look at the door jambs…looks maroon

4. doctordel
    September 17, 2014 @ 12:12 am

Holy shite, I thought you were kidding, Andrew…and then I caught a look at the ad. Why? Just…why? Take the time and effort to execute the trannt swap, only to hooptify it beyond any possibility of respect as a car guy's car? So sad.

5. mrkwong
    September 17, 2014 @ 12:22 am

I have a friend who has a beautiful red '98, it was beautiful until the clearcoat molted like a Ford Taurus, which might help explain the fecal paint job on this one.

September 17, 2014 @ 12:23 am

AndrewM, You can see in the pictures of the interior that the original color was some type of red/maroon.

September 17, 2014 @ 1:00 am

For $7,500 This is pretty awesome. The autotragic is probably what keeps me away for all of the XKR XJR S Type R ect.

Some of the visuals could be be fixed really easily. Anyone know what the parts are to do the conversion?

• sean scott
      September 17, 2014 @ 1:02 am

An engine shot would be nice to see as well.

8. Oddimotive Cason
    September 17, 2014 @ 3:58 pm

This would be a dream car if not for the half-assed paint work, this would be a dream. I've always preferred the I6 XJR over the V8 from a "Jaguarness" perspective, as well as for early V8 reliability issues noted in a previous comment.

9. JimmyinTEXAS
    September 17, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

10. JimmyinTEXAS
    September 17, 2014 @ 5:34 pm

I don't think the color has been changed on any of the car. I think really poor photography is at play here.

• Bobinott
      September 17, 2014 @ 7:00 pm

Hi Jimmy. After your comment, I looked at the photos again. Take a look at the last photo, shot through the open driver's side door. It includes both the door jamb and the outer skin of the rear door. Sure looks like a colour change to me.

• Bobinott
      September 17, 2014 @ 7:01 pm

…. I mean the last photo in the original ad….

11. JimmyinTEXAS
    September 18, 2014 @ 3:35 am

Hi Bobinott,
    I had seen that, but was really convinced about the purple cast I had seen in the other photos. THEN I went back and reread the ad and saw it was resprayed with custom black with cherry pearl. That is where I got the purple cast!!!! I stand fully corrected on the respray, but have to stand firm on crap(p)y photography… LOL
    Thanks

12. Jaaaag
    November 10, 2017 @ 1:04 am

I own this car now! I came across this site by browsing for X300 manual transmission part numbers and had to post. Just bought it off a friend of mine who has had it for the past two years. It has 191k on it now and still runs and drives great. The 5 speed makes all the difference! It needs some minor maintenance stuff and cosmetic TLC, but is a solid car. I've averaged around 11 MPG since I got it this past Monday lol.

• sean scott
      November 10, 2017 @ 3:28 am

Awesome! The supercharger wine is great on these. I was just looking at a cheap xkr would love to buy it but have to have a stick shift.
      You should submit it to the readers rides section…..(BTW DT, more readers rides!!!)

• Jaaaag
      October 26, 2019 @ 1:03 am

I've posted it for sale if you or anyone is interested!

ebay.us/2T1fGk?cmpnId=5338273189