1. Fleetwood T. Brougham
    September 29, 2014 @ 2:01 am

Wow, these were truly disposable cars. I'm guessing that CA is the only place you will regularly find one of these in non-junkyard/ferrous oxide state these days.

September 29, 2014 @ 4:29 am

Mine was one of the most boring and unbreakable cars ever, at a time when reliability was generally suspect.

3. MarveH
    September 29, 2014 @ 2:44 pm

First let me just say that I often find myself out of step with the rest of humanity; with that in mind here goes. I would love to have a MK1 or MK2 Escort like this. These cars are very light and as mentioned most have rusted away, so you would have exclusivity. You could update the suspension and brakes from a junk yard Escort ZX2 and then ponder the nearly limitless array of power plants and never have to stray from the Ford/Mazda family. A stock Ztec would give an immediate 42 HP increase, a Duratec 52 HP, that’s significant in a car weighing about 2000 LBS, and both engines would retain everyday drivability.
    You could go radical and put a complete Miata drive train in and have a rear drive Escort. Keep it as stock looking as possible with 15 inch steelies, and enjoy a quick and entertaining grocery getter.
    But that’s just me, a classic hatchback geek; a cult of one.

• mrkwong
      September 29, 2014 @ 5:21 pm

It would be a good starting point if you wanted to build a replica XR2i or something like that, but you'd be spending a lot of time and money undoing all the stuff Ford did 'Americanizing' the Escort.

If $2K is 'a cheap price', and you're willing to deal with the occasional old-car glitch, then go grab the (currently) top listing here:

saabnet.com/tsn/class/9000.html

'91 9000 Turbo 5-speed, pretty high miles, Aero seats and euro headlights, looks very nice outside, no pics of the interior.

I'd love it myself, but I've got too much stuff in the driveway already.

• MarveH
      September 29, 2014 @ 8:40 pm

I already have a Volvo S60 R, six speed manual, three Miatas and a Capri XR2, so the stable is full here too (even though I do like Saabs). I wouldn't worry about making the car look like an XR2, I'd just make it perform like one with junk yard parts, old hot rod style. You have Escort ZX2's out there that can donate suspension and brake upgrades, and then there are the engine choices I mentioned.
      Light weight cars like this Escort are a vanishing breed, it doesn't take 300 HP turbos to make a 2000 Lb.car fun. About 150 HP and a balanced suspension with good brakes and you wouldn't be able to keep the silly grin off your face.

• mrkwong
      September 30, 2014 @ 12:43 am

I agree, and it's something of the impetus behind two of my current projects (it's be nice if I could even finish one…) but for something like that in the little-FWD-Ford arena I'd personally go either one generation earlier and chase a late '70s Fiesta or one generation later and find one of the Mazda-based Escorts.

4. JB1025
    September 29, 2014 @ 5:54 pm

You forgot FORD called this a world car we had a few @ work i remember going around a corner and the front tire was trying to rip off the rim would have been a good farm plow !

December 22, 2019 @ 11:56 pm

I had a 1986 Ford Escort Pony. No power steering no power brakes. A 4 speed stick shift. I wish I had the car still.