1. Bobinott
    May 5, 2015 @ 2:00 pm

"Syncro de Mayo" – I've said it before and I'll say it again: you guys crack me up!

2. doctordel
    May 5, 2015 @ 2:45 pm

This is cool and all but not a camper, or Westie. My family had two of them, back to back, in the 80s and they were remarkable vehicles for their efficiency of space utilization. We never used that stove when we camped, tho, instead preferring to cook over a real campfire. It was pretty remarkable: my folks slept up in the upper deck, my two little brothers on the floor bed and me on the rear hatch area bed. Fun Doctordel fact: I first experienced a sleepless night due to sunburn prickly heat in that Westie. It must have been 85 degrees inside that thing and my back felt as if it was being intermittently bitten by a hundred red ants as I tossed and turned all night long. Good times!

• Unknown
      May 5, 2015 @ 3:36 pm

Those are some really fond memories there, Doc. I also have (some) fond memories of a Westy; my grandparents had one. Unfortunately they also died in it; collision, the front was crushed. Still, it was really a neat vehicle.

• Hunsbloger
      May 5, 2015 @ 4:57 pm

Combining elements of both the above, I am reminded that my best place to sleep in a Westy was inside the air conditioned showroom of Thunderbird Imports, in Norman, OK on any OU (home) football game day Saturday when sales were dead. I could sleep in the upper bunk while still keeping an eye on the lot through the pop-top's screen zipper window šŸ™‚ 2nd best purpose: they make great vantage points for parades or races due to their compact parking footprint.

3. FTB
    May 5, 2015 @ 3:33 pm

Sadly, not a camper (it would be a bajillion dollars if it were).

• Sean T
      May 5, 2015 @ 3:46 pm

this. syncro westies are going for nearly 6 figures now. probably a lot cheaper these days to go find one in deutschland or italy and import it.

• FTB
      May 5, 2015 @ 3:58 pm

No joke….when did hippies get so much disposable income?

• Gianni
      May 5, 2015 @ 4:46 pm

They turned into Boomers and made killing in live cattle futures. šŸ˜‰

• Sean T
      May 5, 2015 @ 5:53 pm

i was thinking it was more of a killing in pineapple thai

4. FTB
    May 5, 2015 @ 4:56 pm

Also, Syncro de Mayo is a real event too. Here's a good video of some syncros doing some actual off-roading.

youtube.com/watch?v=GbXatDrIA2k